Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Halfway To Nowhere In Particular

A bit of encouraging Arsenews today: PS6 and GC22 both played in last night's 2-1 reserve team win at West Ham. PS6 played the whole game, GC22 just the first half, but that was the intention from the start rather than any problem with his recovery. With these two back - and I suppose that the international break is good news for them, giving them a bit more time - we've now got real competition for places all over the pitch. Good news indeed.

It looks as if the proposed takeover of West Ham by some Iranian wannabe isn't going to happen after all. I have to say I think it's in the best interests of English football if this sort of corporate takeover - done purely for profit rather than a love of the game - doesn't happen at all. Difficult to avoid, I suppose, when the majority of clubs are publicly quoted companies but the West Ham deal in particular had a very noxious odour to it.

UPDATE: The BBC is reporting (as I daresay are others) that David Dein has been appointed Chairman of the G14 group. It would also appear that the West Ham takeover bid isn't actually dead in the water yet, but that the board is going to give the Iranian chap a "put up or shut up" order. Not a good time to be a Hammers fan, I suspect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved that the proposed takeover of West Ham by some Iranian wannabe isn't going to happen. I was pretty concerned after what has been happening over the past couple of months.

Bjam said...

Gosh, I miss West Ham. Haven't watched any footie since I moved to the States :(