Monday, December 06, 2010

No Really, You're Too Kind

At the bus stop at 07.50, raring to get into a new week. Still at the bus stop, and now frozen to the pavement, when a bus finally arrives at 08.35. Penguin-like, we the would-be passengers waddle towards the platform. Some of us even manage to get on. To discover the fares have gone up. Apparently, this is to make life easier for us penguins as we no longer need to carry about so much change. Bollocks. This doesn't help me at all. Up to today I carried a £2 coin which I gave to the driver and he gave me 5p back. So I'd still be carrying one coin both before and after the transaction. After today I will be carrying a £2 coin and not giving it to the bus driver because I will be walking to work in future. Thus I will still be carrying one coin.

The new policy does mean the bus drivers won't need to carry so much change, but in my experience they don't carry any anyway, and end up being told "oh never mind" by punters not thinking life to be long enough to wait whilst the driver explains that he hasn't got 5p, but that he could offer 2p now and 3p when you get off, if he's got it - or offer you a change ticket which appears to be some means the bus company uses to screw money out of you for absolutely nothing at all.

Enough already.

No comments: